Latest stats 2014, 2015
- Each rape costs approximately $151,423
- Annually, rape costs the U.S. more than any other, crime ($127 billion), followed by assault ($93 billion), murder ($71 billion), and drunk driving ($61 billion)
- 73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.
- Rape is the most under-reported crime.
- 63% of sexual assaults are not reported to police.
- Only 12% of child sexual abuse is reported to the authorities.
- 38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance.
- 28% are an intimate.
- 43% of rapes occur between 6:00 pm and midnight.
- 91% of the victims of rape and sexual assault are female, and 9% are male.
- 8% of rapes occur while the victim is at work.
- One in 5 women and one in 16 men are sexually assaulted while in college.
- More than 90% of sexual assault victims on college campuses do not report the assault.
- 3% of men at one university who self-reported acts qualifying as rape or attempted rape admitted to committing repeat rapes.
- More than 50% of all rape/sexual assault incidents were reported by victims to have occurred within 1 mile of their home or at their home.
- 4 in 10 take place at the victim’s home.
Sexual assault is one of the most under reported crimes, with 54% still being left unreported.
Only 3% of Reported Rapists Are Convicted.
Most sex criminals that go to trial are not convicted. This makes it very difficult for many victims to press charges.
Victims of sexual assault are:
- 1 in 2 women (50%) are sexually abused in their lifetime.
- 79% of female rape victims report that the rape occurred before age 25.
- 42.2% of female rape victims were first raped before age 18.
- 86% of female rape victims know their abuser as an intimate partner, family member, or acquaintance.
- About 32,000 pregnancies are the result of rape each year.
- 94% of women who are raped experience post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms during the two weeks following the rape.9
- 30% of women report PTSD symptoms 9 months after the rape.10
- 33% of women who are raped contemplate suicide.11
- 13% of women who are raped attempt suicide.11
- Approximately 70% of rape or sexual assault victims experience moderate to severe distress, a larger percentage than for any other violent crime.
- About 3% of American men have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime.
- 2.78 million men in the U.S. have been victims of sexual assault or rape.
- 1 in 5 men (20%) are sexually abused in their lifetime
- 52.4% of male rape victims report their perpetrator was an acquaintance.
- 28% of male rape victims say they were first raped by the age of 10.
- 325,000 children are at risk of becoming victims of commercial child sexual exploitation(human traffickng) each year .
- The average age at which girls first become victims of prostitution is 12 to 14 years old, and the average age for boys is 11 to 13 years old.
- 15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age 12.
- 29% are age 12-17.
- 44% are under age 18.3
- 80% are under age 30.3
- 12-34 are the highest risk years.
- Girls ages 16-19 are 4 times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.
- 7% of girls in grades 5-8 and 12% of girls in grades 9-12 said they had been sexually abused.
- 3% of boys grades 5-8 and 5% of boys in grades 9-12 said they had been sexually abused.
- Nearly 30% of child victims were between the age of 4 and 7.
- Of these, 75% were girls.
- 93% of juvenile sexual assault victims know their attacker.
- 34.2% of attackers were family members.
- 58.7% were acquaintances.
- Only 7% of the perpetrators were strangers to the victim.
- 34% of people who sexually abuse a child are family members .
- 96% of people who sexually abuse children are male
- 76.8% of people who sexually abuse children are adults.
- An estimated 80,600 inmates each year experience sexual violence while in in American correctional facilities.
- 60% of all sexual violence against inmates is perpetrated by jail or prison staff.
- More than 50% of the sexual contact between inmate and staff member—all of which is illegal—is nonconsensual.
- The Justice Department estimates that the total bill to society for prison rape and sexual abuse is as high as $51.9 billion per year.
- More tba
- 18,900 military members experienced unwanted sexual contact in the fiscal year ending September, 2014.16
- 3% of active duty women and 0.9% of active duty men experienced unwanted sexual contact in FY14.
- Of the 18,900 survivors, 43% of females and 10% of males reported.
- More tba
- More than half (53%) of violence against persons with disabilities and more than two-thirds (69%) of rapes or sexual assaults against persons with disabilities were committed against those with multiple disabilities.,
- More tba
National Sexual Violence Resource Center
Report – Crime Against Persons with Disabilities
The Bureau of Justice Statistics